I know that no one here asked me for career advice, but I’m going to give some anyway.
Take charge of your career.
Don’t wait for someone to do it for you. It may never happen and you might miss out on some great opportunities.
I truly believe that opportunities are out there, we just have to find them.
- Listen. Chances are that if there is something big happening that will impact your entire department, people are talking about it. If people aren’t talking about it, then ask about it.
- Get involved. Ask your manager what you can contribute. Or better yet, suggest how you would like to help.
If you can’t find opportunities, then you have to create them.
- Think of a task your department can do more efficiently and act upon it.
- Shadow someone in a different department to learn more about what they do.
- Learn more about different areas of the profession you’re in. Knowledge is power.
And if all else fails, find a mentor. Someone at work whom you respect and think could help you reach your career goals. Speak every now and then and listen to the advice they have to offer. There are so many people who have worked hard to get to where they are, so why not learn from them?
I think that’s enough advice for now.
If you had to give one piece of career advice to others, what would it be?
Until next time,