I love this recipe from Real Simple!
Spiced Braised Beef With Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck cut into chunks
- 2 pound sweet potatoes cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons, about 1
- 1 28- ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt
- 1 10- ounce box couscous 1 1/2 cups
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach 1 1/2 ounces
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds chopped
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beef, potatoes, tomatoes (and their juices), onion, apricots, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water.
Cook, covered, until the meat is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours, or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Ten minutes before serving, prepare the couscous according to the package directions.
Add the chickpeas to the slow cooker and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach. Serve with the couscous and sprinkle with the almonds.
Recipe NotesTo freeze: Omit the couscous and spinach. Cool the beef to room temperature and divide among freezer containers or bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: Thaw in a bowl of cold water or overnight in the refrigerator. Cook in a pot, covered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the spinach. Serve with the cooked couscous.
Until next time,